12/19/08

Camera(s) Part I

Here we are on the second post ever. The first one that I intended to write in the style I had wanted. I was all set to set the course for an open road to talking about the stuff surrounding me. The stuff sitting about me. And what happens? I immediately veer off course. I had planned on choosing to talk about the bust I have in my living room, but here I am, complaining and whining about the things around me which I had planned to avoid. Oh well. I guess I should jump in to it by explaining how I got here.


So how did I begin my journey with a myspace style mirror shot with camera in hand? Not at all where I intended to go when first delving into my things. It's not so much the hansom man staring at you in the mirror that we're gonna thing about. Nope today we're going to talk about cameras. I had intended to talk about one specific thing to start off on the right foot, but here we go, breaking my own barriers on the very first try. I guess today we're going to talk about cameras in general. With the idea of choosing one specific thing, to help limit what I had to say thereby limiting the lenghth of my rants to medium to medium short. Here I go with a long rant. A rant about cameras.

So one of the ideas I wanted to incorporate into this blog was a picture or two per post. (again here i am straying from what i perceived would be the norm on the first go with this). And so how do we get pictures? Cameras! But see, here's the thing. Who the hell uses a camera. I mean, I have a state of the art one year old cell phone that takes 1.3 megapixel photographs. (It also plays music and makes phone calls believe it or not. Maybe I'll talk more about my phone one day but right now I wanna talk about picture takers.) Honestly who needs anything more than that?



Oh. There's low light in my living room with only one light at 9pm at night? Oh. Maybe I'll light up the object with a flashlight, that'll work probably. Oh, it still came out blurry? Ok. Oh I know! I got a camera for x-mas like 2 years ago that I barely used. That thing has a flash on it. Remember those things? Yeah phones don't really have flashes. I didn't think they'd be useful really. I mean if you need a flash for a picture then the picture wasn't that important to begin with now was it, right? Wrong. Flashes totally improve picture quality in low light situations. Like now.

I've had a camera in my cellular phone for almost as long as I've had a phone. The phone I use now and two previous phones have had cameras in them. The problem with those two previous camera phones (photos not found) is the lack of a removable memory card. In order to get the pictures off of those phone I would have needed to buy a cable that was made specifically for that phone to connect to my computer to get them off or pay something like fifty cents per picture to email them to myself. And we all know that the cable would have gone to waste because each new phone has a new connector and all the accessories bought for previous phones become useless. And to email each picture to myself, every random picture that meant something at the time, but looking back at them from a financial point of view I would end up wasting too much money just to throw those on a hard drive somewhere. But on the other hand, I probably have hundreds of photographs on those two phones that I am likely never to see again. For some reason I still have the phones somewhere but chargers are another story. It's not like in thirty years I'll be showing my future son's girlfriend pictures of him on my old camera phone the way my mother used to show pictures in a photo album.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment